Friday, February 15, 2013

Souvankham Thammavongsa



AT THE FARM



I was sitting in the car counting the black flies


They had come in through the open window


There were four


One was on the rearview mirror


The other three were perched on my left hand


I heard a gunshot by the barn and thought nothing of it


We were at a farm


I saw a cow come charging forward with half its head gone


A man with an axe came running behind it




He hit it once


Once he hit it


And it fell to the ground


Everything was eaten


Its eye appeared in a soup that night


Everything was accounted for






Souvankham Thammavongsa won the 2004 ReLit prize for her first poetry book, Small Arguments. Her new book will be released in September 2013.


1 comment:

  1. Your flies like a foreshadowing in a movie. Your cow half shot completes the film so perfectly.
    I was a child In Italy in 1961 and saw a pig roped on a tree and pretty much meet the same ending. Everything was accounted for as you say in so factual a counterpoint. You've given me a moment I had forgotten back and to realize how it shaped me not to be afraid of life. Bravo

    Frank

    ReplyDelete